Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Some Good Ol Turnip Greens and "Debiled Eggs"

Ok, so yes I meant deviled eggs, but that's not what my Isaiah calls them.  He calls them Debiled eggs...and he Loves them.  I swanny I think he could eat a dozen all by himself.  After I got off my soap box today about being a good mama(see earlier post) I decided I needed to get outside and pick some turnip greens for supper.  We love the things.  I wanted to try a different recipe that Kylahs art teacher had told me about.  I have always cooked them with bacon or oil, but tonight I wanted to do something different.  We always have the same things when I cook them, cause they just compliment each other when you fix them together as a meal.  I have the greens, the eggs, cornbread, and mashed potatoes.  We sat down with it being cold outside to all this warm food and it gets quiet for only 5 mins.... long enough to take a deep breath.  So since the greens were so good I decided I would put this recipe in a post.  Now my amounts are gonna have to be adjusted if you are cooking for a smaller family.  Mine is for 6 people, but I also fix them to freeze cause we will eat them all year long until time to plant again next winter.  My greens still look good out in the garden and they are smaller this year so they are like baby organic greens.

They are so pretty and green even though the weather has been kinda funky!
Isaiah working to help me get the big cooking pot full!
The chickens waiting to get some greens too!
I bring them in and wash them... wash them really good cause they have dirt, bugs and grit in them.  I wash mine twice. 
Then I start the boiling. Be AWARE your house will start to stink, just a heads up if you have never cooked greens.  Its kinda hard on the measurements cause I fill my pot full when I'm picking but I would say its around 3 pounds of greens. But I've never weighed them to know for sure. 
I put them in a pot of water and bring them to a boil.  
Once they are boiling I add 3 tbs of salt and 1/2 cup of Cooking oil


 After they boil for around 20 mins I added 10 cubes of the Beef Bouillon.  This gives the greens a great flavor.  Once you have added all the ingredients and they are simmering, let them cook for around a hour time.  They will be good and tender.
If you were doing a smaller pot, that was say for 2 people I would only use around 3 cubes.  You can add them 2 at a time if you taste it along the way to achieve the taste you like.  My kids ate them up... Said they were the best greens we've had yet.... That makes this mama happy, especially since my oldest boy didn't really care for greens, but tonight cleared his plate!
If you decide to fix them let me know how they turn out!
Reciepe: If you are gonna freeze some
around 3 pounds give or take of greens
1.wash and clean them
2. bring to a boil
3. add 3 tbs of salt and 1/2 cup of veg oil
4. let boil for 20 mins or until they are withered.
5. add 10 cubes of beef bouillon
6. let simmer for 1 hour 



2 comments:

Michelle said...

I can't wait to try these! I've had a craving for them here lately ;)

Hayley Knowles said...

:) :)